Monday, February 15, 2010

The Obligatory "What I'm doing with my life in the future" Post

Seeing as I'm already a month into my internship with only 4 more to go, it seems like it's time to starting thinking ahead to the future again. This summer is starting to seriously shape up, what with my offer to teach on a dig in Antigua during the month of June and there still being a possibility for another dig on Montserrat during the month of July. Additionally, I'm trying to figure out what to do come August, but I do think that I might end up out West. For some reason, I've been having this weird draw to the other side of the country lately. Maybe it's just a need to try something new again; but instead of just a city change, more a lifestyle change? Go see what temperate climates and wide open spaces have to offer? Who knows really... The West just seems very romantic right now. So, that all being said, if anyone hears of museum/CRM/any anthropology or archaeology related work past the Mississippi, please let me know! Remember too, that I'm completely down for working for 'The Man;' we have a pretty reasonable relationship going on right now.

Otherwise, the other big future decisions I have to start making relate to Grad school. My bestie, E.R., just got into Berkley and ASU (CONGRATS!!!), and I'm starting to realize that now is the time to start seriously considering my options. I need to research professors and their publications, schools and their funding, and regions of the country where 6yrs in one spot will not cause me to go insane. Then I have to start sending out inquisitive emails, thinking about when to visit my top choices, and, 'Oh yeah,' decide what the hell I want to focus on: Maya Pre-classic or Contact-Period/Historical- Spanish, English, etc? You know, the whole 'what region, culture, when?' thing.

At the very least, I think I've removed the Andean cultures from my choices; while I enjoy it on the surface, I don't think I could devote my life to studying that region. It just doesn't cause the same excitement that other areas do. I wish I could go see a dig in Belize or Guatemala this summer, so that I could compare the Historic (specifically English or Spanish contact period/post-contact period or Victorian American) to the Maya, since I think I've at least narrowed my options to those two. But, apparently Mayan sites are protected from infiltration under cult like hierarchies; you have to be somebody's grad student or have done your field school on a site in order to become a staff member anywhere in the Maya lowlands. Forget a good resume; this is all about networking connections. And while there may be chances to get to Holmul next summer, this summer is out since el Profe is having another bambina! Thus, if I decide to go the Maya route, my decision will be text book based verses 'in the field with dirty hands' based.

Oh, how these decisions continue to weigh on me! I know I want to go to grad school. I know I want to continue on the track of becoming a professional archaeologist/ professor. But focused in WHAT?!?! How do you decide between 2 passions, which sadly do not completely allow for compromise? It's not like I can study pre-classic Mayan culture during European contact, as that never happened; so it's one or the other. I've got to pick between apples and oranges here; we are way past the point of wanting just a piece of fruit. Maybe some crazy person will let me study medicinal archaeology throughout time in the western hemisphere? We all know I love the archaeology of drugs and medicine (coca? vaginal syringes, anyone?), and what better than a dissertation on the archaeological evidence of medicine throughout time in one area of the New World? I can see it now: "Trepanning to Advil: An archaeological investigation through time concerning the treatment of maladies in Guatemala." (The Maya trepanned right?) I think I just drooled a little thinking about how fun that research would be... But then again, I love indigenous archaeology and the idea of cultural heritage management, which could be a totally different path. Why are there so many options, and why must I choose just one?!?!

If anybody wants to just open a magic door that leads me down a path of life long success and happiness, I'm waiting. Just hand me the key. Really, I'm soooooo incredibly game right now.


...


...


...


...alright, alright. I know I have to make these decisions for myself. Way to be no fun, people.

Can't blame a girl for trying though, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment