Tuesday, January 19, 2010

MLK Weekend

So started the week with a wonderful 3 day weekend.

Went into China town with Jason on Saturday and then headed up his direction back on the red line. Met his cutie boyfriend, Dan, and a bunch of his housemates; it was nice to spend some time with people my age! Haha! Not that anything is wrong with the other folks I've met this past week. Oh, and I learned a new game: Banana-Grams which is like a personal, speed scrabble game. Quality, kosher fun!

Then spent my day Sunday sending out emails to programs for this summer after updating my resume. While I was expecting a bunch of rejections just based on the fact that a lot of programs have set staff from the get go, I have received a couple of positive emails back from some really cool programs around the globe. Keep your fingers crossed that at least one of them works out for me, kids! Oh, and as you know, I'm kind of an expert at keeping my options wide open, so in the next month I'm also going to send in some internship applications for this summer too. There are a bunch of paid archaeology jobs with the Dept. of the Interior Bureaus out West for the summer which look like they could be a good option; so, I figure why not at least send in an application or two and see what happens!

Yesterday was a good day too. Daddy came down for the day and we checked out the National Museum of Crime and Punishment. It was interesting and lot like the Spy Museum (which conveniently was just down the street): lots of personal bios, weird torture device, criminal's guns, and strange memorabilia from every which time period throughout the USA's history (ex. Salem witch trials, wild west, mob and gangsters of prohibition, and serial killers from the 60's). A bit morbid? Yes. Fascinating? Indeed! And it was super nice to spend the day with mi padre. We even had an adventure trying to find lunch (which is surprisingly hard in downtown D.C. on a federal holiday). We ended up in downtown Silver Springs which is a sort happening place. It's was nice to finally get down that direction.

Anyway, it was back to work today, which wasn't so bad, despite an early morning bus fiasco. I ended up on a 17 bus, instead of an 18, and was driven to the Silver Spring metro station instead of Takoma. It was probably really good that I ended downtown yesterday or else I would have had a serious panic attack once I realized I was driving away from where I was planning to go!!! But, everything worked out, and now I have options in terms of which station I choose to go to in the morning.

This week is looking like it will be a good one. I have an appointment to go check out a gym by my office tomorrow night and bunch of cool things planned at work this week too. I'm really happy here, and it nice to finally feel like I'm settling in.

No comments:

Post a Comment