So, I would first like to apologize to any potentially loyal readers who have missed my posts for the past month or so. I'm back in Boston finishing off my last semester as an undergrad and things are ridiculously hectic. I've decided to overload my credits again, thus leaving me with 5 classes to juggle. Add those to 4 jobs (2 bartending gigs, a hostessing stint, and some front-desk work) plus trying to still enjoy my senior year, and you've got a very busy kitten.
The course load includes:
GIS (Global Information Systems)- 3 hr weekly seminar that uses computer programs like ArcGIS/ArcMAP and GRASS-GIS to create 3D maps and analyse locational data from an archaeological context. (aka: I scream at my computer for 3hrs every Wednesday morning as it refuses to execute my commands and instead just short-circuits and dies)
Archaeological Theory and Methods- 3hr weekly seminar which looks into the history and development of archaeological theory and methodology. We discuss everything from Antiquarianism to Cultural Evolution to Postprocessualism in terms of archaeological practice. (aka: We sit in a circle and debate the merits of certain interpretation styles and excavation techniques. Sometimes the debates are heated and interesting. Sometimes we all agree, and the debates go nowhere...)
Creation and Evolution- An anthropology course meeting twice a week to discuss the merits of both explanations of the origin man. (aka: My professor has talked about nothing but the Medieval world views and physics so far. We have yet to touch on either creationism or evolutionary theory)
Archaeological Ethics and Law- A 3hr weekly seminar discussing professional ethics and international/national laws relating to archaeological excavation. (aka: I push for indigenous rights and the need for laws like NAGPRA with a vengeance. Favorite class of the semester!)
Sculpture 101- Introductory studio art class focusing in clay, wire, and cardboard 3D design. 6hrs of weekly class time split over 2 days. (aka: It's my senior year and I wanted to take an art class again. This class makes me wonder what would have happened if I had actually gone to art school for college)
All in all, good classes. I wish I could drop the Evo and Creation class though, but as it completes my minor in Anthro, I feel that would be a bad idea. It's actually surprising to me that my favorite class so far is Ethics. I was actually really concerned that it was going to be very intimidating since it's a first year graduate school requirement at BU. Instead, it's amazing! It's taught by the department head and we literally just sit and debate some really serious, thought-provoking topics every day. Plus, a bunch of the readings are really interesting, which is surprising to me. Who would have thought that I like finding holes in peoples' arguments??!?! Haha!
Other than all that, I'm currently trying to figure out what exactly I'm doing in January when I graduate. I've been meeting with a bunch of my professors to try and figure out the "life plan." So far, we've settled on finding an internship this spring (paid hopefully!), digging throughout the summer, and then finding a real job come the fall. The way I see it, the longer I can stay outside of the country this summer, the better! When else am I going to have time to dig anywhere and everywhere I can dream of? Plus, if I can get 6 projects under my belt before even APPLYING to graduate school, I feel like I'll be waaaaaay ahead of the game when compared to other people my age who will be applying.
Oh, and these little life chats have been somewhat useful in other ways too; I have a research position now helping a professor clean and catalogue historical artifacts and sort flotations. Not exactly a glamorous job, but still a good resume builder. Plus, I actually do enjoy the historic side of the field and it'll be fun to work with people who share the interest again, as most of my current colleagues seem to look down on anything buried after the 16th century. It's also been useful to help make closer bonds with the professor who will be writing my recommendations. I feel like this way, they'll have more reason to push past the form letters and instead actually be pushing for me to succeed. Plus, some of my professors are actually REALLY COOL! I think more students should try to get closer with their teachers. They have a lot more insight into the world than can be expressed in an hour long lecture.
So now, it's off to more homework for me. I have a GIS project that's kicking my ass into next week. Plus, I need to go work on some internship applications and start hardcore studying for the GRE, which I'm taking Nov. 20th. Life never slows down, and admittedly I slacked off a bit this weekend since Easton came up to visit. It's time to get my backside back into gear and jump head first into this week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment