Finally got to get my hands dirty these past two days, which is fan-freakin'tastic! Have a group of four students (Girl Sam, Mike, Matt M., Sara) and am co-leading with Rob Davis. All in all a good group of people, with no duds who don't want to be there/don't belong on a dig. Instead they're all pretty into archaeology and interested in what we're doing, even if they have been getting really tired around 1ish each day (we got 8:00 to 3:30). My unit right now is pretty awesome. We aligned a 2x1 with a 1x1 to the west which exhibited a red ¨plaster¨ floor last year. We hope to find the same thing in our unit but we´ve also found an extention of a wall and this cool white rock floor with a circular feature cut out of it filled with burnt corn, pumice, and ash. Since the site director, Eric, thinks the site may be full of Incan storage units, evidence of massive quanties of corn is reassuring! Other groups have also been finding whole cobs, baskets, and other architectural features which I personally find to be very cool.
So yes, I am currently in heaven, LOVING the dirt all over me, and actually enjoying the teaching aspect more than I thought I would! I´m also the only person who hasn't gotten sun burnt or bitten by swarms of bugs... Maybe I´m just strangly lucky? Who knows. I do know that I'm happy though!
Anywho, I'm off again, but I will be updating asap (not that i know when that will be cause the festivals start this weekend). Hope all is well in the civilized world!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment