Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Figuring out hostels, packing, travel meds, and tying up lose ends.

I am officially packed and ready to go. With my 21st birthday tomorrow, I figured it was a much safer plan to be ready ahead of time when I can think straight and am not regretting my actions from the prior night. Only 3 more days!

Chad and Amber keep emailing and changing the hostels we're supposed to direct the students from our flights to, and as I am responsible for one of these kiddos along with myself, it would be nice if we could finally pick a place. Worst case scenario, I drag the poor girl to the blue macaw or the green parrot or whatever the hostel I stayed in last year was. I also had planned on waiting for Barry's flight to come in an hour after mine, but with a tag-along, I'm not quite so sure that's such an excellent idea. Nobody wants to wait around an airport at 8pm at night for no reason after flying for 6hrs, but I was willing to when I thought I was going to have to pay for a cab on my own (and somehow spanglish my way to a hostel.) But, now that I am being a picker-upper, my cab fare will be reimbursed AND hopefully the other girl knows enough Spanish to fill in my "cuanto cuesto a el Magic Bean?" (yes, the hostel they are currently telling us to go to is called the MAGIC BEAN... ironically, we are going here because our normal hostel, the New Bask, is having some druggie problems). I'll be lucky if I know enough Spanish to get myself past customs, let alone across town. Fingers crossed I don't say something that will get me deported (or at the very least, on the opposite side of the city from where I need to be).

Additionally, I had my travel medicine appointment today. I got off pretty easy with nothing but a flu shot, some malaria meds, prescription style pepto, and some wicked glorious anti-altitude sickness pills! SWEET! This means I might actually be able to train with Scotti like I want to without keeling over from asphyxiation. Oxygen to the lungs is so over rated sometimes, huh? But yeah, the plan is to try to run at altitude, so that when I get to Belize, I can train hella hardcore and come back with a reasonably rockin' body. That is the plan at least...

I'm pretty ready to just get there already... But I guess having a super awesome 21st birthday before that isn't too bad of a way to wait if I have to anyway. This weekend pretty much already rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment