Saturday, March 20, 2010

3 weeks or so later...

I have not updated in FOREVER. Sorry 'bought that, kiddos!
Here's the run down of what you've all missed:

1)Co-ran a table for my perspective federal agency at the NCSHPO Government Agency Update during Historic Preservation Advocacy Week. Learned all about how to lobby my state representatives and passed out a bunch of brochures and materials that I'd collected from around the office through out the week.

2)Went to USGS to check out their museum collection of historic materials. Nothing like exploring cabinets full of old camping equipment and surveying tripods! I've decided I too want to go into the field with a caravan of 10 mules carrying a portable refrigerator and foldable, full-size wooden desk.

3)Check out the National Archives at College Park to search out ARPA permits. I now have a super awesome id badge in which I am making shifty eyes and a deeper respect for the people who made the boring forms we fill out for today's permits. After reading correspondence letters all day, you're thankful for forms with fill in the blank answers. They make research much easier.

4)NAGPRA stuff with National NAGPRA at the NPS building was interesting. The new unidentifiable remains regulations came out last week. Go look at them on the federal register!

5)DOI Museum lecture about the New Deal increased my respect for Roosevelt only that much more. Yeah, maybe he didn't get everything right, but at least we got some really cool murals in the Main Interior building out of all his public works projects.

6)WAPA meeting about teaching evolution in conservative classrooms a few weeks ago was nothing too new, but also a good return to "classroom." I find I'm hunting out lectures and talks now that I'm out of school. Like Alex the parrot, I "wanna go back" ... to school though.

7)Herr William came to visit me last weekend during his spring break. We had a pleasantly enjoyable time wandering about town riding the carousel on the national mall, visiting the postal museum, wandering through the holocaust museum (admittedly a bit of a downer), sampling the cupcakes available around the city, seeing "Shutter Island," and doing other miscellaneous fun things. It was good to seeeeeeeee him though. Oh, and we hade a rather interesting dinner on Sunday night :-) Good times. Good times.

8)Went on a date or two with a cool person. End note.

9)Went skiing this weekend in VT with my uncle and mother. 60 degrees, nobody on the slopes, and epically hilarious falls from yours truly made it a rather enjoyable adventure.

And now I'm in CT for my cousin's bridal shower brunch tomorrow. It's been a busy few weeks!!! But now you are all reasonably updated, and I hopefully will be more on top of my writing in this silly blog of mine in the near future... maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment