I only have 2 weeks left in my undergraduate education with classes ending this Thursday (Dec. 10th). Of course I still have 25 pages of papers to write (minimum), a final exam, a computer project, and some last minute touch-ups to a cardboard sculpture of "sitting bull"/a Plains Indian chief (see below). It apparently would be waaaay too easy to let me finish up my last semester worry free, meaning my computer programs aren't cooperating, my papers are suffering from a month long case of writers block, and my Anthropology exam could very easily be my final demise. This feeling of stress and last minute scrambling seems to happen at the end of every semester though, so while I'm nervous about getting everything done in time, I'm not horribly worried. That sounds really contradictory, but I've been through this enough times to know that I'll get everything done, even if it means some serious sleep deprivation and spending the last days of my college education secluded from social contact. People who succeed in life tend to know that "you have to do, what you have to do" to get by (apparently these people are not very articulate though). Ha!
As for the job search, I had a phone interview with the NPS NAGPRA department last Friday about an internship organizing/creating a public database of culturally affiliated materials. I think it went well, but really who knows. We ended up talking for over an hour, despite the fact that the chat was only supposed to last 30 minutes. My interviewer even ignored a 10:30 appointment to keep talking with me. Plus, the jobs sounds like one that I'm very qualified for, and I think I'd be a good personality match with the lady who would be my boss. I find out next week if I got the job, at which point I'll start either looking for an apartment in D.C. (with help from my high school bestie, Jasey-Face) or start sending out more job/internship applications.
The only other points of interest are as follows:
1) I quit both my jobs last week in order to focus my attention on finishing the semester. It was sad to say good-bye to everyone, and I've enjoyed my experience at PAZZO and the T&R thoroughly over the past half year. But, now I'm on to bigger and better things, so I can't be too sad about a natural progression in my job experience.
2)I have to move out around the 19th, so it's time to pack-up again. I feel like I just moved in though!!! I'm going to miss the roomies and the StuVi experience*, but again, moving out is a natural progression. I can't live in cushy university-housing forever. Plus, I'm most likely going to be moving around a lot in the next year or so, thus this is most likely only the beginning of down-sizing the material possessions I deem necessary for daily survival.
3)Christmas is just around the corner!!! And I am 50% done my gift shopping. If only the men in my life were easy to buy for (but that would be much too easy). Yes, I'm pointing my fingers at YOU, father and Camden!
4)I'm excited to go home for the holidays, but sad to leave all my close friends from Boston. I'm going to miss so many people, most specifically Cam, Will, Ariane, Jess, Liz, Gibbs, my Archie buddies/teachers (to name a few: Christine, Amanda, Fransico!) and the roomies. All of them make my life very, very happy, and I've really never been a fan of good-byes (hence my avoidance of them with people like Alaina and so many others. Sorry, guys!!!). That being said, I'm sure I'll be visiting many of them on a regular basis in the future, so by no means are these relationships over! Also, some good news is that I get to return to being near some amazingly important old friends, who have stuck by me even when I moved a good distance away. I'm like an excited puppy who can't wait to hang out with Kathy, Andrew, A. Camp, Ruby, Bizzy, and Jase again... If I had a tail, it would be wagging just thinking about the fun that's ahead. Plus, I may very well have some free time in the next few months to go visit people who I've been away from for far too long, like Erin and Lauren. Finishing school is by no means "all bad" for my social life!
5)I starting to look into programs for this summer. How sexy is the idea of camping on the edge of the Grand Canyon for 6weeks?!?! Yeah, exactly. I'm also looking at a Bio-Archaeology program in Peru (though I'm conflicted over voluntarily digging up bodies), an advanced field school in Belize, a graduate student project on the Russian Steppes, and a bar bones, roughing-it project in Transylvania. I'll update you with more information on all of those when I have time to focus on something other than school!!!

Seriously, I made him out of nothing but cardboard and glue!!!
I'll upload a photo of the finished product next week.
(NOTE: Check out my teacher, Kitty Wales', website if you have chance!)
*Not my video, despite it being of my building.

No comments:
Post a Comment