Sunday, May 31, 2009

3 Weeks Away

So, the count down begins. 21 days till I fly down to the equator!

I'm excited to finally get going, though still a bit sad to leave Boston behind for 2 months. Why is it that I always have to leave places whenever things finally start feeling really comfortable? It seems like I just started bonding with people at work (at all 3 jobs in fact), and now I have to peace out. Oh well, I'm sure I'm going to feel the same way about leaving my new friends/old buddies in Ecuador after 6 weeks. I think that's just how life works when you're as young as I am. You can't try new things and meet new people constantly without moving around a bit and with that comes the hassle of having to say good-bye much too early. Plus, the people who are really worth knowing tend to make an effort to stay in touch, make me miss them, and get me to come back again!

Despite my misgivings on being away so long, I'm still wickedly excited about this trip finally coming together. Sam and Chad (the PAP co-directors) have been furiously emailing for the past two weeks, trying to get everything together with the staff. Itineraries are in; jobs are being assigned; policies are being established to keep the students in line (a bit of an issue last year, but that is a story for another time). Apparently this year's motto is "the war on fun," which is a bit tongue in cheek, or so I hope. We just don't want any cocaine induced orgies to occur this year... or public urination for that matter. And, if you think about it, we're archaeology nerds; dirt is fun! Thus our "war" is more on illegal or humiliating activities, not so much "fun." Everyone has FUN in Ecuador: beer is a dollar a liter, there's zip lining in Mindo, and the Inti Raymi festivals are constant through out the summer! How could you not have fun?

It's also been amusing to read the PAP student message board, because all of the kids are asking questions about what to bring and how bad the living conditions will be. I will always be amused by the fact that half the students think Ecuador is the equivalent of Mars and there will be no shampoo, sunscreen, towels, beds, showers, water, pharmacies, etc., while the other half thinks they're living in a Marriott hotel for 6 weeks where they can order room service and go clubbing at night. And truthfully, conditions on the dig are somewhere in between. PAP isn't a 'let's go camping in the woods for 50 days' sort of project, but at the same time this isn't a Caribbean vacation and Ecuador isn't suburbia. There aren't North Face stores, CVS's, and Grocery Giants every two bocks. Hell, there aren't really blocks in Cangahua! I think the continent alone has about one major highway (though that might be a bit of an exaggeration...). It is the 3rd world, but a 3rd world with electricity in even it's poorest towns and a capitalistic economy. Ecuadorians wash their hair and brush there teeth too (though there is a sad lack of quality dentists to be had), thus every day commodities are available for purchase. You just may have to visit a few stores before you find what you are looking for.

That all being said, nobody should expect to find deer skin work gloves (in lassie sizes none the less!) and sun-shield hiking pants anywhere near Cangahua, Ecuador or San Ignacio, Belize. Thus one of my final stages of preparation includes finding, purchasing, and packing the above items (among others). EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) and Ben Meadows have become my one stop shops for archie gear and outdoor paraphernalia these days. And as nerdy as it sounds, I'm kinda in heaven whenever I check out the plumbobs and north arrows, hiking packs and compact sleeping bags. For a girl who can clean up pretty nice (if I do say so myself), I'm can be such a dirty, mountain hippie when I go on my digs. Hell, I'm looking forward to the dirt and electric showers (because I only have to shower three times a week because anything more is just too painfully cold). Who knew a girl who hates bugs would love the outdoors and dirt so much?!!?

...Only 3 more weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment